Articles Comments

Shooting Reviews » Ammunition, SHOT 2012 » PCP Polymer Cased Ammunition

PCP Polymer Cased Ammunition

PCP Ammunition, out of Orlando, FL, has debuted an interesting line of polymer-cased precision rifle ammunition at the 2012 Media Range Day.  The PCP cases are of two-piece polymer construction, and use projectiles from Sierra and Berger Bullets.

PCP Polymer Cased Ammunition

Close-up of the Two-Piece Polymer Case

PCP Ammunition claims that their ammo is being more accurate than conventional brass-cased ammo, while being up to 33% lighter.  In addition, the polymer cartridge acts as an insulator, reducing the ammount of heat conducted to the barrel.  Casual testing with their demo guns seems to bear this claim out – a fired .300WM PCP case was not even slightly warm upon ejection from the demo rifle.

PCP Ammunition is currently available in .308 Winchester and .300 Winchester Magnum, and .223 Remington rounds are in development.

Filed under: Ammunition, SHOT 2012

5 Responses to "PCP Polymer Cased Ammunition"

  1. This really interests me, though i wonder how it would hold up to rapid firing. Is this done for cost reduction, or some other purpose?

  2. Derek Zeanah says:

    Costs actually seem to be higher. The advantage seems to be accuracy, temperature reduction, and weight reduction. You can shoot a round, immediately eject it, and have it feel room temperature. The rounds themselves feel like inert rounds they’re so light. And the accuracy implications someone like Chris Rhines will need to explain, but I’m willing to test it later and report.

  3. Bryan says:

    Their selection is more limited than last year’s SHOT. I was looking forward to trying their 6.8 SPC offerings. Good to see a working product now anyway.

  4. memphisjim says:

    oh great i think this will be the next great internet argument
    polymer or brass cased ammo
    gentleman pick your sides

  5. Mega325 says:

    This is interesting considering 60% of the heat transferred from the rounds ignition is usually kept in the case and the other 40% transferred to the weapon. This was the reason why caseless ammo never caught on ( 100% of heat transferred to the weapon system had severe issues on prolonged firing the HK G11 being the test bed that showed caseless doesn’t work yet). So is all the heat transferred to the weapon with this ammo? If so it took us in the wrong direction by 10+ years.